Thursday, October 28, 2010

Still waiting for the art..






Through out all my research into Arboform, I haven't been able to locate a single artist working with the new material. The closest I have come is the Sergio Rossi eco-pump and the designer Fossil watch.

I firmly believe in the coming years Arboform will become widely used in more designer jewellery and products in a range of mid-high end markets.

Through researching Arboform, I can see great potential for it in my own practice. As I experiment with a lot of moulding and pattern processes in my current work, Arboform would be very interesting from an injection moulding point of view to produce wall pieces.

The image below is a piece I created 1st semester this year. It is 6mm slumped glass onto a plaster mould I carved and filled with frit and powder. This style of artwork would be very interesting to see injection moulded in Arboform. To do this though I would need to turn the image into a CAD file and send it off to Technaro in Germany.





The downside of Arboform at present it that Technaro (the only distributor) is located in Germany. Just the location alone makes it difficult to assume a project like this. Other draw backs from using Arboform at the moment are the cost and possible language barrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment